Running Man: From Cracking Jokes While Playing Games
When it comes to South Korean reality-variety shows, many can take the cake. But, one show that is one of the most popular as the good Sunday series is the ‘Running man.’ Without any doubt, this quirky, adventurous, comedy-rich, and competitive variety show with hosts and guests is quite an entertainer.
About Running Man
For those who are not familiar with the show, here is a little introduction. This show is aired on SBS as part of the Good Sunday lineup. Urban works media and SangSang company produce it. The format of the game is like any reality game show. Here the team of MCs and a guest go to nay urban location and take part in multiple line-ups of missions. Winning each mission takes the participant one step closer to winning the race.
The show is being aired since 2010 and since then has aired 554 episodes. The show is shot in various locations like Macau, UK, Russia, China, Vietnam, UAE, Australia, etc., along with South Korea.
There are several MCs of the show, Yoo Jae-suk being the main MC, runs the show along with other big names like Lee Kwang Soo, Jee Seok-Jin, Song Ji-Hyo, etc. The show has also received a place in the business insider’s list in the year 2016.
Why is Running Man so Much Fun?
When it comes to a reality-variety show, there is always a time when the impact is lost on the audience. But, this show has maintained its impact, and people live to watch it to date. Why? Well, the biggest reason is the cast. Their continuous banter, their jokes, and pranks on each other make the show an ultimate fun ride.
Also, people love the betrayer trio of Ji Suk Jin, HaHa, and Lee Kwang Soo. They are always out there pulling pranks and bullying each other, making the show a laugh riot. The games are always fun to watch as well. Ripping name tag is the game that makes everyone be part of it. This iteration of hide-and-seek is one of the best things in the show. The new locations and new guests make the show much more entertaining.
Some Fun Facts
- Kim jong kook from the entire cast is the only one who is fluent in English.
- Initially, it was designed to make the game ‘all-men’s to make it competitive. But later, Song Ji-Hyo became part of the game and gave the guys an equal competition.
- Ripping the name tag is the most popular part of the game. But not many know that the name tags are quite expensive, costing up to 75 dollars each.
- Most of the cast member shows their real personalities in the show, in a slightly exaggerated way.
- Earlier, the show was designed to be competitive. But later, it was turned into a more competitive and comedic format.
- From the very beginning, Lee Kwang Soo is the most bullied character in the game.
- After South Korean running man, China to have their running man show, by the name of ‘Hurry Up Brother.’
Running man is one of the most popular reality-variety shows from South Korea with a big Hallyu fan following. The show is also subbed in various languages like English, Thai, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Malay, Russian, Arabic, Turkish, etc.